Explore your interests before college
Case Western Reserve Pre-College Program
If you have a passion for a certain subject and would like to explore it in-depth before college, here is your chance to do so with one of the nation's premier research institutions. For nearly 200 years, Case Western Reserve University has prepared ambitious students for their futures—in that spirit, we offer our pre-college online courses, designed for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features video lessons by Case Western Reserve instructors and live sessions with university mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace.
Various two- and four-week sessions throughout the year
For students completing grades 9-12, ages 13+.
Current Courses Available
An insider’s guide to the universe
Origins: How the Universe, the Solar System, and Life Began
How did the universe begin? When did life enter the picture? Why do some species survive, while others perish? Delve into the history of the cosmos. If you’re thinking about a future in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), medicine, or even the law or business, you’ll acquire a working knowledge of the most basic questions about how our universe and life evolved. Learn through engaging video by Case Western Reserve instructors, Dr. Patricia Princehouse and Dr. Glenn Starkman, and participate in live sessions with university mentors.
Doing business to do good
Social Entrepreneurship: The Business of Helping Others
Is it possible to apply innovative entrepreneurial thinking for the social good? This online course will show you how creative companies are doing just that. You’ll learn how social entrepreneurs get started, build a value proposition, find customers, identify problems, come up with solutions and organize a team. If you are thinking about majoring in business, see yourself as a budding entrepreneur or value social responsibility, this course is a must. Learn through engaging video by Case Western Reserve instructors Michael Goldberg and Megan Buchter, and participate in live sessions with university mentors.
How you will benefit
- Online courses are available throughout the year—pick a subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by Case Western Reserve University faculty while you’re still in high school
- Learn asynchronously: Lessons by professors are delivered through videos so you can tune in whenever your schedule allows—the ultimate in flexibility
- Work with university mentors in live, group sessions to get the most out of your studies
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Case Western Reserve University
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You:
All online immersion courses culminate in a special final project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer—text, video, photography, PowerPoint
You’ll receive guidance from a university mentor through live group sessions. Mentors answer questions and offer support as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final project
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- Asynchronous: You’ll learn through engaging video. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- 20 to 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from university mentors
- Meet fellow students online from around the world
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following:
- Basic contact information for you and your parent or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course, and a bit of your story. Tell us about yourself through writing, video, photos—any media you prefer.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Begin the Guided Process
Want to Know More?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Our application process is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.Apply Now
Frequently Asked Questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you find out if you're accepted?Find answers to your questions here