Explore your interests before college
Case Western Reserve Pre-College Program
If you have a passion for a certain subject and would like to explore it in-depth before college, here is your chance to do so with one of the nation's premier research institutions. For nearly 200 years, Case Western Reserve University has prepared ambitious students for their futures—in that spirit, we offer our pre-college online courses, designed for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features video lessons by Case Western Reserve instructors and access to mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace.
Multiple two- and four-week sessions
For students ages 13+
$695 - $1295
Current Courses Available
Neuroscience and Medicine: Inside the Brain and Nervous System
Think of your brain as the command center of your emotions, bodily functions and nervous system. How does it transmit messages to keep everything running? What happens when a neurological disorder appears? What are some of today’s advanced treatments for neurological disorders? These questions are at the heart of neuroscience. In this course, you’ll discover the basics of how neuroscience informs exciting developments in medicine. If you are interested in science, medicine, psychology or other STEM-related subjects, don’t miss this educational adventure. Learn through engaging video lessons by Case Western Reserve University instructors Barbara Kuemerle, PhD, and Ashley Nemes-Baran, PhD.
Discover how things are made
Engineering: From 2D Sketch to 3D Model
Do you like to build things? Are you interested in the techniques engineers use to go from two-dimensional sketches to three-dimensional models and finished products? Would you like to learn skills that can serve as a basis for a future in video game design, architecture, robotics, civil or mechanical engineering? This course is an ideal way to get started. Learn through engaging video lessons by Case Western Reserve instructors Ainsley Buckner and Jason Bradshaw.
Go behind the scenes of computer science
Computer Science: An Introduction to Digital Technology
Excited by the world of digital technology? Start building your foundation now. It begins with understanding how the computer works, inside and out. You’ll build webpages, learn languages, and start thinking algorithmically. This course is a must for anyone considering computer science in college, or preparing for a future in the ever-growing field of technology. Learn through dynamic video by Case Western Reserve Professor Harold Connamacher.
An insider’s guide to the universe
Astrophysics and Evolutionary Biology: The Origins of Life
How did the universe begin? When did life enter the picture? Why do some species survive, while others perish? Delve into the history of the cosmos. If you’re thinking about a future in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics), medicine, or even the law or business, you’ll acquire a working knowledge of the most basic questions about how our universe and life evolved. Learn through engaging video by Case Western Reserve instructors, Dr. Patricia Princehouse and Dr. Glenn Starkman.
Course formerly known as, "Origins: How The Universe, The Solar System, And Life Began".
Doing business to do good
Social Entrepreneurship: The Business of Helping Others
Is it possible to apply innovative entrepreneurial thinking for the social good? This online course will show you how creative companies are doing just that. You’ll learn how social entrepreneurs get started, build a value proposition, find customers, identify problems, come up with solutions and organize a team. If you are thinking about majoring in business, see yourself as a budding entrepreneur or value social responsibility, this course is a must. Learn through engaging video by Case Western Reserve instructors Michael Goldberg and Megan Buchter.
How you will benefit
- Online courses are available throughout the year—pick a subject that fits your passion and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by Case Western Reserve University instructors and professors while you’re still in high school
- Lessons by professors are delivered through videos so you can tune in whenever your schedule allows—the ultimate in flexibility
- Receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience
- Earn a Certificate of Completion from Case Western Reserve University
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You:
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- You’ll learn through engaging video. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- 20 to 30 hours of total instruction and course work, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors
- Engage with fellow students online from around the world
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final project
All online courses culminate in a special final project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer—text, video, photography, PowerPoint
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Our application will ask you to provide the following:
- Basic contact information for you and your parents or guardian.
- Why you wish to take this course. You can tell your story through writing, video, photos — any media you prefer.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Apply Now
Want to Know More?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Our application is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.Apply Now
Frequently asked questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you found out if you're accepted?Find answers to your questions
We offer need-based pre-college program scholarships in each cohort to students who need assistance with the program cost. The scholarship application is a part of the overall program application.
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at email@example.com for assistance.