Explore your interests before college
Case Western Reserve Pre-College Program
If you have a passion for certain subjects and would like to explore them in-depth before college, here is your chance to do so with one of the nation's premier research institutions. For nearly 200 years, Case Western Reserve University has prepared ambitious students for their futures—in that spirit, we offer our pre-college online courses, designed for high school students ages 13 and up. Each course features video lessons by Case Western Reserve instructors and access to mentors. The program is available year-round, and the online format lets you study anywhere, anytime, at your own pace. This flexibility allows you to take multiple courses and explore a variety of subjects.
Multiple two- and four-week sessions
For students ages 13+
Individual Course Fees
Current Courses Available
Neuroscience and Medicine
Inside the Brain and Nervous System
How does your brain transmit messages to keep everything running? What happens when a neurological disorder appears? What are today's advanced treatments for neurological disorders? These questions are at the heart of this field. In this course, you’ll discover how neuroscience ignites developments in medicine. If science, medicine, psychology, or other STEM subjects excite you, take this educational adventure. Learn through engaging video lessons by CWRU instructors Barbara Kuemerle, Ph.D. and Ashley Nemes-Baran, Ph.D.
From 2D Sketch to 3D Model
Do you like to build things? Are you interested in the techniques engineers use to go from two-dimensional sketches to three-dimensional models and finished products? Would you like to learn skills that can serve as a basis for a future in video game design, architecture, robotics, or engineering? Get started with this course. Learn through engaging video lessons by Case Western Reserve instructors Ainsley Buckner and Jason Bradshaw.
An Introduction to Digital Technology
Excited by the world of digital technology? Start building your foundation now. It begins with understanding how the computer works, inside and out. You’ll build webpages, learn languages, and start thinking algorithmically. This course is a must for anyone considering computer science in college, or preparing for a future in the ever-growing field of technology. Learn through dynamic video by Case Western Reserve Professor Harold Connamacher.
Astrophysics and Evolutionary Biology: The Origins of Life
How did the universe and life begin? Why do some species survive, while others perish? Delve into the history of the cosmos. If you’re thinking about a future in STEM, medicine, or even law or business, you’ll be able to answer the most basic questions about how our universe and life evolved. Learn through engaging videos by CWRU instructors, Dr. Patricia Princehouse and Dr. Glenn Starkman.
Social Entrepreneurship: The Business of Helping Others
Is it possible to apply innovative entrepreneurial thinking for the social good? This course shows how creative companies are doing just that. You’ll see how social entrepreneurs get started, build a value proposition, find customers, identify problems, and create solutions. If you’re thinking about majoring in business, see yourself as an entrepreneur, or value social responsibility, this course is a must. Learn through engaging videos by CWRU instructors Michael Goldberg and Megan Buchter.
An Introduction to Medicine’s Future
Biomedical engineering is a game-changer for medicine and technology. It operates at the intersection of engineering design and science, helping to make possible everything from joint replacements and heart transplants to prosthetic limbs and implantable organs. If you’re thinking about a future in this growing field of science and technology, here is your starting point. Learn through engaging video lessons by Case Western Reserve faculty Matt Williams.
How you will benefit
- Online courses are available throughout the year—pick subjects that fit your passions and your schedule
- Suitable for high school students ages 13 and up so you can start exploring your interests early on
- Experience what it’s like to take a course designed by Case Western Reserve University instructors and professors while you’re still in high school
- Lessons by professors are delivered through videos so you can tune in whenever your schedule allows—the ultimate in flexibility
- Receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience
- For each course, earn a Certificate of Completion from Case Western Reserve University
Hear From Case Western Reserve University
3 Learning Advantages Designed for You:
- 100% online, works with your schedule
- You’ll learn through engaging video. Tune in anytime that works for you.
- Multiple courses can be taken to maximize your learning experience.
- 20 to 30 hours of total instruction and activities per course, including engaging multimedia, simulations, and curated assignments for which you will receive guidance and support from mentors
- Engage with fellow students online from around the world
You’ll receive guidance from a mentor who can support you and answer questions as you deepen your learning experience. You can expect:
- Expertise in your course’s particular field.
- Encouragement and direction on all assignments
- Inspiration, motivation and confidence to help you excel in your studies
- Brainstorming and ideation help as you prepare for your final project
All courses culminate in a special final project that allows you to:
- Demonstrate what you've learned in a presentation
- Get feedback from your mentors on your work
- Choose from a variety of topics covered in your course to show what you’ve learned
- Use any media you prefer—text, video, photography, PowerPoint
How to Apply
It’s easy. No transcripts or letters of recommendation are required. Just provide some basic information and tell us why you wish to take this program.
Note: Please submit all application materials in English.
Begin the guided process. It should take only a few minutes of your time to answer the questions.Apply Now
Want to Know More?
Sign up for more information and we’ll be in touch.
Our application is easy. You can expect a prompt decision.Apply Now
Frequently asked questions
How will you be graded? What are assignments like? Are there required materials? How much time do you get to turn around a project? When do you found out if you're accepted?Find answers to your questions
We offer need-based pre-college program scholarships in each cohort to students who need assistance with the program cost. The scholarship application is a part of the overall program application.
If you would like to be considered for a scholarship but you:
- haven't applied to the program, complete your application now. The scholarship application is included.
- applied to the program and didn't fill out a scholarship request, resume your application and click “Apply for Scholarship”
- are unsure about whether or not you applied for a scholarship, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.